Lost your pet?
1. Using the search tool, please take a look through the Found Animal reports to see if someone has already found your pet and/or brought them into the shelter as a stray. These listings and photos are updated every hour as new reports are submitted.
2. If you see your pet on the list, please call us at (434) 973-5959 and our staff will inform you of next steps to reclaim your pet.
3. If you do not see your pet on the list, please fill out the Lost Animal report with your information, your pet’s information, and a photo of your pet. As animals come into the shelter as strays we reference these reports, and we will contact you if an animal matching your pet’s description comes. While we are watching for your pet to come in, we still encourage you to check back with us frequently by calling (434) 973-5959.
4. In the event your pet is at our shelter and we have set up an appointment for you to redeem your pet, please bring your ID, proof of ownership (veterinary records, county/city license, or photo of pet), and proof of rabies vaccination. You will be required to pay a fee to redeem your pet. Fees vary depending upon how many days your animal has been cared for at the shelter.
Lost Pet Tips
● For shy dogs and cats, set a humane trap near the point of escape. The SPCA has humane traps available for rent.
● We encourage you to post about your missing pet on social media and to canvass your neighborhood in case your pet has been picked up or seen by neighbors. Include multiple photos from different angles.
● Dogs Finding Dogs, Missing Pet Partnership and Cats in the Bag are all sites with tips for conducting a successful search for your pet. Create a flyer for your missing pet at MyPetChild.com or PetBond.com.
Stray Hold Policy
When an animal comes in with no collar or ID, it is held on stray hold for six days. If it comes in with a collar or ID, it is placed on stray hold for eleven days. While it is our wish to reunite every lost pet with their owner, SPCA cannot be held responsible for finding your lost pet.
Found a Pet?
Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA only accepts stray animals found in the
City of Charlottesville or Albemarle County.
- Using the search tool at the bottom of this page, please take a look through the Lost Animal reports to see if someone is already looking for the animal. These listings and photos are updated every hour as new reports are submitted.
- If you see the pet on the list, please call us at (434) 973-5959 and our staff will inform you of next steps.
- If you do not see the pet on the list, and you are able to keep the pet while we wait for its owner, please file a Found Animal report with your information, the pet’s information, and a photo of the pet. We will reach out to you as soon as the owner contacts us. We will
never share your private information without your permission.
- We also encourage you to check social media to see if the pet’s owner has been posting in search of the animal.
- If you do not see the pet on the list, and you are unable to keep the pet, you can bring the animal to the shelter for us to take care of while we wait for its owner. Please call us at (434) 973-5959 to let us know when you are coming.