Lost & Found Pets
Lost your pet?
- Using the search tool below, please take a look through the Found Animal reports to see if someone has already found your pet and/or brought them into the shelter as a stray. These listings and photos are updated every hour as new reports are submitted.
- If you see your pet on the list, please call us at (434) 973-5959 and our staff will inform you of next steps to reclaim your pet.
- If you do not see your pet on the list, please fill out the Lost Animal report with your information, your pet’s information, and a photo of your pet. As animals come into the shelter as strays we reference these reports, and we will contact you if an animal matching your pet’s description comes.
While we are watching for your pet to come in, we still encourage you to check back with us frequently by calling (434) 973-5959 or to visit the shelter and speak with a staff member to view stray animals in our care. These animals are not accessible to the general public.
- In the event your pet is at our shelter and we have set up an appointment for you to redeem your pet, please bring your ID, proof of ownership (veterinary records, county/city license, or photo of pet), and proof of rabies vaccination. You will be required to pay a fee to redeem your pet. Fees vary depending upon how many days your animal has been cared for at the shelter.
- When an animal comes in with no collar or ID, it is held for six days prior to being made available for adoption.
If it comes in with a collar or ID, it is held for eleven days prior to being made available for adoption.
Stray Hold Policy
When a pet is found with any sign of ownership, such as a collar/harness, ID tag, microchip, or evidence of spay/neuter surgery, the pet is held at the SPCA for 11 days. If the pet is not found with any signs of ownership, the pet is held for 6 days. Stray pets are posted on our website at the time of intake. These pets are not available for adoption until their stray hold is over and they have been spayed/neutered. They will be posted to our website under the Adoptable Pets page at that time.
For assistance, call 434-973-5959, ext. 212. If you find your pet, do not file a ‘Found report,’ instead email [email protected] [email protected] or call us so we can remove your Lost Report.