The SPCA is proud to offer high-quality, low-cost spay/neuter services to the community. We are only able to offer these services for dogs and cats at this time.
Spay/neuter appointments are available Monday-Friday.
Please note: We are not accepting dog spay or neuter applications at this time.
Pets must be dropped off at the SPCA between 8:15 and 9:00AM and picked up the same day between 5:00PM and 6:00PM. Dogs must be on leashes and cats must be in carriers. Carriers should be clearly marked with both owner and pet names. Please refer to the pre- and post-surgery instructions for more information on how to care for your pet before and after surgery.
To schedule an appointment, complete the Spay/Neuter Application here or call the spay/neuter line at 434-973-5959 ext. 310.
If completing an application online, a staff member will confirm your appointment. There is a $25 charge for no shows or for those that reschedule within 48 hours of their appointment.
Please read the Pre and Post surgery instructions prior to your appointment.
***Please note: Clinic prices are reviewed annually and are subject to change. If you are waitlisted, you will be charged the current pricing at the time of your appointment. **
Spay/neuter does not include vaccinations. Rabies and distemper vaccinations can be added for an additional fee.
• Cat neuter (male) – $135 – Includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
• Cat spay (female) – $180 – Includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
• Dog neuter* – $295 – Includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
• Dog spay* – $315 Includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
Low-Income Spay/Neuter Pricing:
• Cat – $65 – Includes pre-anesthetic exam, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine and pain medications.
• Dog neuter* – $120 – Includes pre-anesthetic exam, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine and pain medications.
• Dog spay* – $140 – Includes pre-anesthetic exam, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine and pain medications.
*For both full and low-income pricing add:
• $20 for dogs 50-75 lbs.
• $40 for dogs 75.1-90 lbs.
Please note, we are not able to schedule dogs weighing over 90 lbs. at this time.
If your pet is obese, in heat, pregnant or cryptorchid, additional fees may be incurred due to increased anesthetic time and supplies needed.
Community (feral) Cat Spay/Neuter:
Spay/Neuter surgery, rabies and distemper vaccinations and eartipping are FREE for Community feral cats from Charlottesville and Albemarle County! Please see our Community Cats webpage at: https://caspca.org/communityferal-cats/ for more information about TNR appointments. Please note: We are not currently offering TNR services for community cats located outside of our jurisdiction.
Feral cats must be dropped off in a humane cat trap, (not a carrier) between 8:15 and 9:00AM and
picked up the same day between 5:00 and 6:00pm.
Additional services available at time of spay/neuter appointment including microchip implantation, flea and tick treatment, retrovirus testing, ear cleanings and nail trims. These services can be discussed with reception when setting the appointment or added at drop off on the day of surgery.