The SPCA is proud to offer high-quality, low-cost spay/neuter services to the community.
Unless noted, spay/neuter does not include vaccinations. Rabies vaccination ($25) and distemper vaccination ($25) can be added.
• Cat neuter (male)– $135 – includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
• Cat spay (female) – $180 – includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
• Dog spay/neuter* – $260 – includes pre-anesthetic exam and pain medications.
• Community (feral) cats are FREE for cats from Charlottesville and Albemarle County! Includes rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine, ear-tip and pain medications. Read guidelines on community cats here.
Low-Income Spay/Neuter Pricing: (must show proof of public assistance at drop off)
• Cat – $45 – includes pre-anesthetic exam, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine and pain medications.
• Dog* – $95 – includes pre-anesthetic exam, rabies vaccine, distemper vaccine and pain medications.
$20 for dogs 50-75lbs
$40 for dogs 76-90lbs
If your pet is obese, in heat, pregnant or cryptorchid, additional fees may be incurred due to increased anesthetic time and supplies needed.
Additional services available at time of spay/neuter appointment including microchip implantation ($30), flea and tick treatment, retrovirus testing, ear cleanings and nail trims. These services can be discussed with reception when setting the appointment or added at drop off on the day of surgery.
Spay/neuter appointments are available Monday-Saturday. Pets must be dropped off at the SPCA between 8:15-8:30am and picked up the same day between 5:00-5:30pm. Dogs must be on leashes and cats must be in carriers. Carriers should be clearly marked with both owner and pet names. Please refer to the pre and post surgery instructions for more information on how to care for your pet before and after surgery. To schedule an appointment, complete the Spay/Neuter Application or call the spay/neuter line at 434-973-5959 ext. 206. If completing an application online, a staff member will confirm your appointment.
There is a $25 charge for no shows or those that reschedule within 48 hours of appointment.