You will be given written Post-instructions on discharge. However, to plan for the care of your pet after surgery, please prepare for the following:
- Pick – up time is 5:00 – 6:00 PM.
- Pets should be kept primarily indoors where they can stay clean, dry and comfortable. Please limit their activity; no climbing stairs, running, jumping, rowdy play, swimming, or other strenuous activity during the 10-14 day recovery time period.
- No bathing during this period.
- Dogs must be walked on a leash.
- Light meals only the evening of surgery with water available. Feed normally on the next day.
- Please check the incision site daily. Do not allow pet to lick or chew at the incision site. If this occurs, an Elizabethan collar, t-shirt or topical spray (Bitter Apple) should be used. Slight redness at the incision may be normal for a few days after surgery. However, if you notice irritation, discharge, swelling, a gap in the incision or worsening redness, please contact the SPCA Clinic at (434) 964-3310.
- Unless indicated otherwise, your pet does not have external sutures. All sutures are absorbable and the outer layer of skin is held together with surgical glue. Do not clean or apply topical ointment to the incision site. Females will have tattoo ink applied to the incision.