Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA only accepts stray animals found in the City of Charlottesville or Albemarle County. If you have lost or found an animal, file a report and search our database below.
To report a found pet:
- Fill out a report below. Provide detailed information including a physical description of the animal. If you have found a pet in another jurisdiction, refer to the list of regional animal shelters at the bottom of this page.
- If you are unable to house the pet until reunited with their owner, or would like to check for a microchip, bring the animal to the CASPCA.
To report a lost pet:
- Fill out a report below, with a photo if possible. We will contact you if a possible match is found, but strongly encourage you to visit the shelter daily, in the case we are unable to connect by phone.
- Visit our shelter at 3355 Berkmar Drive between 12PM and 6PM to view our stray animals. Bring your ID and proof of ownership, such as veterinary records, city license, or a photo of you with your pet. Current proof of rabies vaccination is required, or our onsite clinic staff can administer the vaccination.
- In the event your pet is at our shelter, you will be required to pay a fee to redeem your pet. Fees vary depending upon how long your animal has been cared for, if you are required to buy a license, and other care factors.
For shy dogs and cats, set a humane trap near the point of escape. The CASPCA has humane traps available for rent. Dogs Finding Dogs, Missing Pet Partnership and Cats in the Bag are all sites with tips for conducting a successful search for your pet.
When an animal comes in with no collar or ID, it is held on stray hold for six days. If it comes in with a collar or ID, it is placed on stray hold for eleven days. The best way to determine if your pet is at the CASPCA is to visit the shelter and speak with a staff member to view stray animals in our care. These animals are not accessible to the general public. While it is our wish to reunite every lost pet with their owner, CASPCA cannot be held responsible for finding your lost pet.
For assistance, call 434-973-5959 x202. If you find your pet, do not file a ‘Found report,’ instead email email@example.com or call us so we can remove your Lost Report.
CASPCA Database of Adoptable, Lost and Found Pets
Post in Lost and Found Sections
The Daily Progress 434-978-7202
C-VILLE Weekly 434-817-2759
Surrounding Area Shelters
CASPCA can only accept stray animals found in the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County. Check the animal control facility nearest to where your pet was lost.
|Augusta Regional SPCA
|Nelson County Animal Shelter
|Buckingham Animal Control Facility
|Orange County Animal Shelter
|Culpeper Department of Animal Services
|Orange County Humane Society
|Greene County Animal Shelter
|Shenandoah County Animal Shelter
|Louisa County Animal Shelter
|SPCA of Nelson County
|Louisa Humane Society
|Madison County Animal Shelter
|Wildlife Center of Virginia
|VETSS Emergency Clinic (434) 973-3519
Greenbriar Emergency Animal Hospital (434) 202-1616