To report a lost pet, please do the following:
- Click the appropriate link below to fill out a lost report and include a photo when prompted. We will attempt to contact you if a possible match is found, but strongly encourage you to visit the shelter daily, in the case we are unable to connect by phone.
- Come to our shelter at 3355 Berkmar Drive between 12PM and 6PM. Bring your ID and proof of ownership, such as veterinary records, city license, or a photo of you with your pet. Current proof of rabies vaccination is required, or our onsite clinic staff can administer the vaccination.
- In the event your pet is at our shelter, you will be required to pay a fee to redeem your pet. Fees vary depending upon how long your animal has been cared for, if you are required to buy a license, and other factors.
The best way to determine if your pet is at the CASPCA is to visit the shelter and speak with a staff member to view stray animals in our care.
While it is the CASPCA’s wish to reunite every lost pet with their owner, because of the high volume of incoming animals and the high volume of lost reports, we cannot be held responsible for finding your pet.
When an animal comes in with no collar or ID, it is held for six days prior to being made available for adoption. If it comes in with a collar or ID, it is held for eleven days prior to being made available for adoption.
For assistance, call 434-973-5959 ext. 2. If you find your pet, do not file a ‘Found report,’ simply email or call to let us know so we can remove your Lost Report.
CASPCA Database of Found Pets
Post in Lost and Found Sections
The Daily Progress 434-978-7202
C-VILLE Weekly 434-817-2759
Use the Charlottesville, Albemarle Lost & Found Pets Facebook page and other social media
Other Area Shelters and More
The Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA can only accept stray animals found in the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County. This allows owners the opportunity to find their animals in the county where they live and lost them. Please also check the animal control facility nearest to where your pet was lost.
|Augusta Regional SPCA
|Nelson County Animal Shelter
|Buckingham Animal Control Facility
|Orange County Animal Shelter
|Culpeper Department of Animal Services
|Orange County Humane Society
|Greene County Animal Shelter
|Shenandoah County Animal Shelter
|Louisa County Animal Shelter
|SPCA of Nelson County
|Louisa Humane Society
|Madison County Animal Shelter
|Wildlife Center of Virginia
|VETSS Emergency Clinic (434) 973-3519
Greenbriar Emergency Animal Hospital (434) 202-1616
More Tips for Finding Your Lost Pet
- For shy dogs and cats, set a humane trap near the point of escape. (the SPCA has humane traps available for rent)
- Dogs Finding Dogs, Missing Pet Partnership and Cats in the Bag are all sites with great tips for conducting a successful search for your pet. Dogs Finding Dogs also has canine search teams available. They are based in Baltimore.
If you have any questions contact us via email or call (434) 973-5959 ext 2.