Once you have tried the alternatives and/or re-homing your pet and have had no luck, then you should try your local shelter. Please understand that surrendering your pet to the SPCA may be very traumatic for your pet and is not a quick process. To ensure that you are given the time and attention you deserve and that we have the space and accommodations your pet deserves, we ask that you make an appointment. To make an appointment, please fill out the online surrender profile and someone will contact you to schedule your appointment. Appointments last approximately 30 minutes.
Making An Appointment
The Charlottesville-Albemarle SPCA has an appointment system for accepting pets from owners and can ONLY accept pets who live in Charlottesville or Albemarle County.
Please bring the following with you to your scheduled appointment:
- Your drivers license
- All veterinary records
- Any medications your pet is taking
- Any special toys, beds or other belongings from home
- Your continuing care fee.
- $50 – for litters of puppies/kittens and adult pets not spayed or neutered or up to date on vaccines.
- $30 – for adult pets who are spayed or neutered and are up to date on vaccines.
*Please note: An appointment does not guarantee we will be able to take your pet if we find there is a major medical or behavioral issue.